We believe that our community is strongest when comprised of individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and points of view. In addition to our statement of commitment and our commitment to cultural competence, we are also taking steps to actively pursue equity and inclusion as part of our strategic plan, Deep Roots, Bright Future.
Statement of Commitment
It is my right to be physically and emotionally safe within the Brookwood School community. It is my responsibility to help create a positive environment by treating all people with dignity. I will strive daily to respect difference in appearance, perspective, ability, race, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, class, and family structure. When I choose to communicate my perspectives, I will strive to communicate them directly. I will listen respectfully to the perspectives of others.
Commitment to Cultural Competence
We recognize the importance of developing a student body competent to negotiate a world that is made up of peoples of different races, cultures, backgrounds, belief systems and orientations. At Brookwood, we believe:
- Students’ membership in their immediate communities, as well as their competence and confidence as global citizens, will be significantly enhanced by virtue of a global consciousness and a broad cultural awareness.
- Students will be better prepared to solve problems, simple and grand, when their empathetic imaginations have been enlarged by exposure to and consideration of the culturally and ecologically rich world that surrounds and contains them.
- In the importance of a school culture that values inquiry and inspires students to consider multiple perspectives to push past what otherwise gets taken at face value.
- Encounters with diversity and appreciation for differences within the Brookwood classroom, faculty and curriculum are essential to the development of cultural competence.
- Our students’ experience with differences will develop an enhanced self-awareness, and a fuller understanding and respect for those who practice, believe and live differently.
- Our experiences with diversity can sometimes pose challenges, but with a spirit of exploration and respect, these experiences will cultivate a sense of global citizenship and a greater appreciation for the common humanity that binds us.
- The development of cultural competence is essential for success in a global environment and in our mission “to graduate academically accomplished students of conscience, character, compassion, and cultural competence.”