Head of School Search FAQs
The goal of these FAQs is to anticipate some questions about the search for Brookwood’s next Head of School. We will be adding questions and answers throughout the search process.
Please submit your own questions to Jenny Perkin or Gavin McGrath at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who is leading the search process?
Who is on the Search Committee?
- Gavin McGrath ‘97, MBA, Search Committee Co-chair; Board of Trustees Finance Committee member; parent of Caroline ‘26 and Charlie ‘28
- Jenny Perkin, M.S. Ed, Search Committee Co-chair; Board Committee on Trustees chair; parent of Jack ‘19, Cole ‘20 and Teddy ‘23
- Molly Cook, PsyD, Board of Trustees Advancement Committee member; parent of Jael ‘26 and Meyer ‘28
- John Corcoran, M.A., Board of Trustees Finance Committee member; parent of Eleanor ‘24
- Sara Day, Parents’ Association vice president; parent of Maia ‘24 and Will ‘27
- Ray Falconer, M.A., Upper School faculty (since 1999); Grades 5-8 Literacy Department Coordinator; parent of Kere ‘20 and Quinn ‘20
- Katy Langhorst, MEd, Board Committee on Trustees member; parent of Max ‘21 and Anna ‘23
- Monica Palmer, Ed.D, Board Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee member; Dean of Faculty at Governor’s Academy; parent of Blake ‘26
- Moira Smith, M.S. Ed., Lower School faculty (since 2009); Grades PreK-4 Literacy Department Coordinator; parent of Miles ‘22, Owen ‘22 and Ruby ‘24
- Chris Welles, Past Trustee 1996-2009; 2001-2002 Capital Campaign Co-chair, Past Board Committee on Trustees chair and Board Vice President; parent of Whitney ‘03, Caroline ‘04, George ‘06 and Wyatt ‘09
What is the expected timeline for the search process?
September 24, 2019: Laura Caron shares that she will be leaving at the end of the academic year
October 3, 2019: A search committee comprised of current and former Board of Trustees members, faculty, parents, and parents of alumni is formed
October 2019: Search Committee selects consultants to partner within the search process, announcement is shared with the community
Winter 2020: A community-wide survey is conducted and interviews with constituent group representatives are held to inform the head of school position description
Spring 2020: Head of School position is posted
Spring/Summer 2020: Search partner receives applications, develops the pool of candidates, and reviews candidate credentials
Fall 2020: Semifinalist candidates are interviewed by the search committee and finalists for the position are selected
Fall 2020: Finalist candidates visit Brookwood for search committee and administrator interviews and community forums, with feedback collected
Winter 2021: The Board of Trustees votes to approve the hire of the next Head of School following a search committee recommendation
Winter 2021: Finalist is officially announced to the community as Brookwood’s seventh head of school, effective July 1, 2021
What is the role of the Search Committee?
What is the consultant’s role?
What is the Board’s role?
What is the faculty, staff and adminstration’s role?
What is the role of current parents?
What role will students play?
What is the role for Brookwood alumni?
How can I participate in the search process? How can I contribute?
Will I have a chance to provide input or ask questions during the search?
When will the Brookwood School community get to meet the candidates?
How will I stay updated about the Committee’s progress?