Head of School Search
Introducing Members of the Head of School Search Committee
October 11, 2019
Dear Brookwood Community,
As you are aware, Laura Caron has recently announced her decision to leave at the end of the 2019-2020 school year. We’d like to share information about the initial steps being taken in the search process. Consistent with its responsibilities, the board has appointed a search committee to conduct a comprehensive, national search for the next head of school. The committee is charged with identifying—with significant input from all constituencies within our community—a successor head of school and presenting that individual to the board for approval. Following independent school best practices, the committee is intentionally small yet it is also representative of a broad range of the school’s interests.
We would like to introduce the other members of the search committee, along with their affiliation with the school:
- Gavin McGrath ‘97, MBA, Search Committee Co-chair; Board of Trustees Finance Committee member; parent of Caroline ‘26 and Charlie ‘28
- Jenny Perkin, M.S. Ed, Search Committee Co-chair; Board Committee on Trustees chair; parent of Jack ‘19, Cole ‘20 and Teddy ‘23
- Molly Cook, PsyD, Board of Trustees Advancement Committee member; parent of Jael ‘26 and Meyer ‘28
- John Corcoran, M.A., Board of Trustees Finance Committee member; parent of Eleanor ‘24
- Sara Day, Parents’ Association vice president; parent of Maia ‘24 and Will ‘27
- Ray Falconer, M.A., Upper School faculty (since 1999); Grades 5-8 Literacy Department Coordinator; parent of Kere ‘20 and Quinn ‘20
- Katy Langhorst, MEd, Board Committee on Trustees member; parent of Max ‘21 and Anna ‘23
- Monica Palmer, Ed.D, Board Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee member; Dean of Faculty at Governor’s Academy; parent of Blake ‘26
- Moira Smith, M.S. Ed, Lower School faculty (since 2009); Grades PreK-4 Literacy Department Coordinator; parent of Miles ‘22, Owen ‘22 and Ruby ‘24
- Chris Welles, Past Trustee 1996-2009; 2001-2002 Capital Campaign Co-chair, Past Board Committee on Trustees chair and Board Vice President; parent of Whitney ‘03, Caroline ‘04, George ‘06 and Wyatt ‘09
We invite you to read more about the members of the search committee here.
The committee is interviewing consulting firms with expertise in head of school searches to ensure a deliberate and thorough process with the best possible outcome. We look forward to sharing the firm that is most aligned with our needs in the coming weeks.
While the primary responsibility for managing the process of nominating the next head of school lies with the search committee, the board is committed to making this a robust and inclusive process. There will be multiple opportunities for current and former parents, faculty, staff, alumni and students to provide input during the search process. Once we have identified the right consultants to guide us through this process we will share next steps. We have shared a general timeline below and will add greater detail as the process evolves.
The Brookwood community will be kept apprised of the progress of the search process via updates on this designated “Head of School Search” page. Our next communication will introduce the consultants and outline next steps to begin to gather community input. On behalf of the search committee and the Board of Trustees, thank you for your interest and support as we embark upon this important journey to identify our next head of school.
Jenny Perkin P ‘18, ‘20, ‘23
Co-Chair, Head of School Search Committee
Gavin McGrath ’97, P ‘26, ‘28
Co-Chair, Head of School Search Committee
SEARCH PROCESS TIMELINE
Sept. 24, 2019: Laura Caron shares that she will be leaving at the end of the academic year
Oct. 3, 2019: A search committee comprised of current and former Board of Trustees members, faculty, parents, and parents of alumni is formed
Fall 2019: Search Committee selects consultants to partner within the search process, announcement is shared with the community
Winter 2020: A community-wide survey is conducted and interviews with constituent group representatives are held to inform the head of school position description
Spring 2020: Head of School position is posted
Spring/Summer 2020: Search partner receives applications, develops the pool of candidates, and reviews candidate credentials
Fall 2020: Semifinalist candidates are interviewed by the search committee and finalists for the position are selected
Fall 2020: Finalist candidates visit Brookwood for search committee and administrator interviews and community forums, with feedback collected
January 2021: The Board of Trustees votes to approve the hire of the next Head of School following a search committee recommendation
January 2021: Finalist is officially announced to the community as Brookwood’s seventh head of school, effective July 1, 2021